TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

San Patricio County TX
San Patricio County

Counties
Texas Counties


Texas Towns
A - Z

Corpus Christi Hotels

More Hotels



GREGORY, TEXAS


San Patricio County
, Texas Gulf Coast

2755'14"N 9717'33"W (27.920604, -97.292480)

Highways 181, 35 and 361
16 miles SE of Sinton the county seat
3 miles NE of Portland
11 miles NE of Corpus Christi
13 miles W of Aransas Pass
17 miles W of Port Aransas
ZIP Code 78359
Area code(s) 361 Exchange: 777
Population: 1,886 Est. (2019)
1,907 (2010) 2,318 (2000) 2,458 (1990)

Book Hotel HereCorpus Christi Hotels


Gregory Texas old depot
The old Gregory depot
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007
More Texas Depots

History in a Pecan Shell

The Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company and the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway partnered to build the town - which was named after U.S. attorney general Thomas Watt Gregory. The location was to be the point on the railroad where the rails split to go to Corpus Christi.

1887: A post office was granted
1890: First settler - J. S. M. McKamey, bought a two-mile-square block of land north of Gregory
1891: Coleman-Fulton gave land and built the first schoolhouse
1892: Population reaches 250
1898: Coleman-Fulton moves headquarters to Gregory
1900: McKamey opened a bank.
1909: Hotel Green is built - one of the finest hotels on the coast. President Taft visits the Coleman Fulton Ranch.
1920s: Gregory declined when company offices move to Taft. The hotel moved to Taft in 1922.
Historical Marker:

Gregory

The town of Gregory traces its beginnings to 1886, the year the San Antonio and Aransas Pass railroad built a line through San Patricio County. The railroad and the local Coleman-Fulton pasture company joined forces to build a station here at a site known as Corpus Christi junction, a switch where the rail line turned toward Corpus Christi and branched off to Aransas Pass. By 1887 the junction was known as Gregory, named for Thomas W. Gregory, a friend of the Fulton Family and later U.S. attorney general.

A U.S. Post Office opened on March 8, 1887, and the new community grew quickly, soon boasting stores, hotels, banks, and other businesses, as well as a school and several churches. As many as seven trains passed through the junction on daily round-trip schedules.

By 1900 the town's population had reached 400, and the community received another boost when the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company relocated its main office here from Rockport. The company built the 3-story green hotel in 1909, and many train travelers relied on Gregory as a stopover point. Although the company headquarters and the Green Hotel both relocated to taft in the 1920's, the town survived and remains a viable residential community.
1993

Gregory Scenes & Historical Marker



Old Texaco gas station, Gregory, Texas
An old Texaco station
TE photo, 1999


Gregory, Texas water tower
Gregory, Texas water tower
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007
More Texas Water Towers


Gregory Texas historical marker,
Gregory historical marker
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007


Native Son
Don Williams
Gregory high school (now part of Portland-Gregory ISD) is where country music legend Don Williams went to school. Williams was raised here and sings about his childhood there in the song Good ol' Boys Like Me."The smell of cape jasmine through the window screen. I can still hear the soft southern winds in the live oak trees."

Gregory is located near the Live Oak Peninsula, an area of the Texas Gulf Coast with an abundance of Live Oak trees. - Ken Rudine

TX San Patricio County 1920s Map
San Patricio County 1920s map showing Gregory NE of Corpus Christi
across Corpus Christi Bay
From Texas state map #10749
Courtesy Texas General Land Office

Take a road trip

Texas Gulf Coast

Gregory, Texas Nearby Towns:
Sinton the county seat
Portland
Corpus Christi
Aransas Pass
Port Aransas
See San Patricio County

Book Hotel Here:
Port Aransas Hotels | Corpus Christi Hotels | More Hotels

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact us.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Cotton
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved