in a Pecan Shell
from 1827 when a trading post was in operation. The community started
to settled in 1834. There were enough children in 1836 to warrant
An “official” founding occurred in 1837 when the fledgling town served
as an outlet for products shipped out from Stephen F. Austin’s colonists.
The borrowing of the name of the English port was suggested by a local
man named “Commodore” Nelson who may or may not have once been a bone-fide
naval officer. The community submitted the name on the application
for a post office which opened in 1846 and lasted only three short
It reopened in 1879 and was still operating in the 1990s. The tiny
community is to have peaked shortly after the Civil War, but in the
mid 1880s, it had a meager population of just 20 residents. The 1890
census counted 136 Liverpudlians.
In 1906 Liverpool had forty-eight pupils taught by three teachers.
In 1914 the population had grown to 400 and besides two stores, the
town had the luxury of a hotel.
After a decline from the 1920s and through the Great Depression and
reached 150 people in the mid 1960s and by the late 1980s, it had
swelled to 627.
The 1990 census counted just 396 people and the 2000 census counted
eight more people, bring it to 404.
County map showing Liverpool
S of Alvin,
NE of Angleton
(Above "IA" in "BRAZORIA")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Texas - Texas Escapes' 3000th Town
June 17, 2014
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact