in a Pecan Shell
The town took it's name for a camp of Texas Rangers stationed there in the mid
1850s. Settlers had been there previously, but Indian attacks curtailed settlement
- hence the need for the Rangers.
During the Civil War, Confederate troops
protected the settlers (a benefit not enjoyed by too many Texas towns). The community
was McCulloch's main settlement until 1876 when Brady
was made the county seat. A post office was granted to the town that same year.
The first reported population was 250 in 1884. The town's decreasing role in McCulloch
county was hammered home with the arrival of the railroad. Brady
waxed as Camp San Saba waned. The post office managed to hang on through the Depression
- but closed shortly after. From a population of 180 in 1925, it declined to a
mere fifty in 1939. The 1990 figure was 36 - and today it's anyone's guess.
San Saba Today
of Camp San Saba Centennial Marker|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, December 2006
of Camp San SabaHere
was stationed, 1862-1864, Captian W. G. O'Brien's Company of mounted volunteers
a unit of the frontier regiment organized to protect the frontier against Indians.
The regiment in 1864 became the Forty-sixth Texas Cavalry in the Confederate Army.