in a Pecan Shell
The community’s namesake
is Ed Carta, an early settler in the last few years of the 19th Century. A cemetery
was established in 1904 – two years before the first store opened. Storekeeper
W. A. Varga became the first postmaster when the post office approved one in 1907.
prior to 1913 the community built a church / school. In that year the Methodists
built a separate building for their services. A Baptist Church followed in 1923.
a population of 35 residents in 1914, Carta Valley declined to 20 and stayed there
through the 1950s.
In the 1960s, its population (briefly) soared to 150
residents served by five businesses but just as suddenly in the 1970s, returned
to 20. No explanation has been offered for the reason. It is still marked on highway
maps (since there’s plenty of room on the map in Edwards County).
County 1920s Map showing Carter Valley|
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate