2 Miles W of Highway 283
15 Miles N of Brady
149 (2000 estimate)
|History in a Pecan
Settlement began in the late 1870s with the arrival of the William
F. Lohn family. Joined by additional German immigrants a few years later, the
community opened its first store – in which the local post office operated. In
1892 the community consisted of the store, a cotton gin, flour mill and a Baptist
church. The first school was built in 1893.
From a population of just seventy-five
people in 1914, Lohn reached its high-water mark in 1931 with 360 residents. It
declined during WWII and
the post war years to 250 and by the mid 1950s it hit bottom at 100. In the late
1980s it had increased to 149 – the same estimate given for the 2000 census.