in a Pecan Shell|
Named after W.K. Etter, a vice president of the North Plains and Santa Fe
Railroad, the town began in 1930 when it was made a stop for the railroad.
The Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway later intersected with the Santa
Fe at Etter. The population was just 150 in 1940 when the town consisted of a
mere three businesses. In 1942 the Cactus “industrial
community” was built a mile north and drew off population from Etter.
were a few other grain processing buildings around, but no "downtown" at all,
so this is ETTER, Texas." - Stephen
Michaels, January, 2008
Moore County map showing Etter|
(Above "O-O" in "M-O-O-R-E".
Just below Sherman County line)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office