in a Pecan ShellOnce
part of the Yellow House Ranch division of the huge XIT
Ranch, it passed through the Littlefield
estate before being sold in 1924.
Much of the land was bought by German-Americans
hoping to start a German Catholic Colony. The first church in the county was constructed
in 1930 and the name of the pastor (the Reverand Francis Ledwig) was Pep’s first
name. But when the post office was applied for in 1936, the name Ledwig was rejected.
Pep – being a Depression-era superlative – was chosen instead.
estimate in 1950 was 60 residents – which has slowly declined to 50 for the 1990
Pep is a long ways from anywhere. It is in the northwest corner
of Hockley County on FM 303, 3/4 miles south of the Hockley/Lamb County Line.
1932 Pep Elementary School|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2009
Hockley County map showing Pep|
(Just below Lamb County line)
General Land Office
See Texas Town List