a Pecan Shell
It's been a while since Pyron has been on the map. In fact a view
of the current TxDoT Scurry County map doesn't even show Pyron.
Scurry County has several place names with real frontier flavor
(except for Fluvanna).
There's Wildcat and Hell Roaring Draw, and Hudd - four letters that
just appear out of nowhere and don't seem to indicate a watercourse,
town or geological feature.
A man named
Bob Pyron settled on Buffalo Creek in the late 1880s and the community
was named after him.
There was a school and post office by 1900 and since they didn't
yet have a church, services were held in the school. The population
was 10 in 1910.
Like hundreds of towns, Pyron moved to be near the newly laid railroad
tracks of the Santa Fe. When
highway 84 bypassed the town, the residents just vacated the area
rather than move the town again.
a major statewide school consolidation closed the Pyron school and
children were bussed to nearby Hermleigh
.5 miles South)
Once a thriving community. Named for Bob Pyron, a rancher who settled
on nearby Buffalo Creek before 1890. School was first held in his
In 1900 town was founded and in 1910 citizens moved 4 miles southeast
to be on Santa Fe Railroad. Pyron grew to include 2-story hotel, Odd
Fellows Hall, stores, and a cotton gin. But it declined after a major
highway bypassed this site. Post office closed 1952 and today only
the railroad crossing sign and a few houses remain. Old settlers gather
yearly at cemetery to exchange reminiscences.
County Map showing Pyron (SE of Snyder
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact