a Pecan Shell
In 1900, Steve
Stevens, a conductor on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf railroad
was honored by having the town named after him.
The town developed slowly and prior to the first school being built
in 1910, students were taught in the railroad section house. George
Brady was the school’s benefactor.
A general store was soon built, and a grain elevator was constructed
in 1920. It took another nine years before a post office was granted.
The Stevens school merged with Stratford
schools in 1940.
The population was estimated at a mere 40 residents throughout the
1940s. The improvements on highway 54 were instrumental in depopulating
the town and in 1943 the post office was closed.
The combination store and gas station closed a short time later, making
Stevens a ghost town – with only the grain elevator to mark the site.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact