Texas Historic Landmark
110 E. Columbia St.
in the 1920s by prominent citizen E. H. Blount, this building was originally divided
for three businesses including a barber shop. The structure is best known for
the Augus Theatre, operated by William M. Wade, which moved into the central portion
in 1927; it was expanded in 1933 and occupied the western two-thirds until 1972.
The Wade family continued to operate the theatre, a major social center of San
Augustine, until the late 1960s. Russell Lee photographs taken in the 1930s
assured the authenticity of a 1990s renovation. The structure continues to reflect
a commercial building of the 1920s.
Texas Historic Landmark - 1998
Theatre Historical Marker |
Gibson, December 2010
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels