on a PinheadFounded
in the mid 1920s, it was a stop on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railroad. The name
honored C.A. Broome, a rancher and landowner in the region.
was granted a post office although the proximity to Sterling
City stymied growth.
The post office closed its doors in 1939 and after WWII,
the town consisted of a store / filling station with a population of just 25.
The 1980 census reported just 18 residents and by 1990 there was no report at
County, Texas 1920s map showing Broome|
"G" in "STERLING")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
There was a little stop in the road about 10 miles northwest
of Water Valley on highway 87 and about 10
miles southeast of Sterling
City or half way in between the two towns. It used to be a rail way stop when
there was a rail road. They used to pump gasoline until the late to mid 1960s.
and maybe even into the early 1970s. Love your site. - Regards, H. L. Lovell,
September 09, 2011
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic,
endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local
history, stories, and vintage/historic/contemporary photos of their town/subject,
| Save on Hotels
- Expedia Affiliate Network|