History in a Pecan
was founded by early settler Richard Coffey around 1882. Coffey was very influential
in SW Coleman County, raising cattle, defending against Indian raids and even
venturing into “town building” in an indirect way by opening a store / post office
Coffey enclosed the bunkhouses he built for his cowboys by
erecting a defensive fence. The horizontal roof of the main building gave the
community its name.
Flat Top was on the road connecting Forts
Belknap and Concho and local
ranches used the road to deliver beef-on-the-hoof to the installations.
It also became a changing station for the stage line running between Fort
Concho and Brownwood.
The community had a short-lived post office from 1879 to 1881. Although no population
records are available, it seems to have peaked around 1881.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
| Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate Network|