a Pecan Shell
takes it's name from GRAham and WeatherFORD.
Graford is halfway between them.
George R. Bevers is credited with being the area's first settler.
In 1854 he settled on Big Keechi Creek, at the Flat Rock Crossing.
In the mid 1850s he built his house on the Fort
Worth - Ft. Belknap road.
A store operated by partners Ansell Russell and Willis Mills soon
opened and by 1894 a post office was granted. The first reported population
was 313 for 1920. Twenty years later it was just over 800 but decreased
to 495 by 1980. In recent years it has grown to nearly 600.
Graford is just 12 Miles East of Possum
firehouse emblem over door. Last included for green stamp sign in
window. Thirty plus years ago?" - Mike
Price, October 2007 photo
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact