a Pecan Shell
Early settler (and later postmaster) H. S. Shive is credited with
naming Pansy. Originally called Pansy Mills (for two windmills that
were located there), Pansy had been 12 miles S of Mt.
Blanco. While Mt.
Blanco was shown on early maps of the region, Pansy evidently
didn't rate the cartographer's time.
The post office was granted in 1894 although it only lasted until
1896. Residents of Pancy were actually on property belonging to the
Kentucky Land and Development Company.
A school district was formed in the early 1890s and managed to keep
it's autonomy until 1936 when it merged with the McAdoo
The Pansy Baptist Church (c. 1905) was damaged by fire in 1965 but
remained active through the 1980s.
"The Church is/was located about 10 miles NE of Crosbyton
on CR 150 @ CR 245. The markers were nearby on US 82. Google shows
only the foundation and sidewalks remain today." - Barclay
Gibson, November 08, 2015
(US 82 and FM 836, 10.3 miles E of Crosbyton)
Church, Near Site of
The Pansy Baptist
Church was organized in 1905 by J. V. Leatherwood, John Holt, P. H.
Leatherwood, Snow Loyd, and J. M. Leatherwood to serve the residents
of the Pansy Community. Church services were conducted in the school
building until 1916 when the congregation constructed its first sanctuary.
An arbor was built on the church grounds for revival services.
The church building was moved two miles south in 1946 for the convenience
of the membership. A parsonage was erected in 1947 for the congregation's
first full-time pastor.
A new sanctuary was built and was dedicated on July 16, 1950. The
church building burned in August 1965, and services were held in a
church member's barn until December, when a new structure was completed.
The church supported a strong mission outreach program.
Through the years population dwindled in the rural community of Pansy.
In 1995 the remaining members of the Pansy Baptist Church voted to
disband. The church building was donated to the Mt. Zion Baptist Church,
an African American congregation in Floydada. The building was moved
32 miles by 140 volunteers from Crosbyton,
(12 Miles E of Crosbyton
- On FM 836 about .5 mile N of US 82)
School, Site of
This area of Crosby
County was settled in 1898 by the family and relatives of M. G.
Leatherwood. As other families began to arrive, the need for a nearby
school became apparent. As a result, the Leatherwood Common School
District was created in 1912.
The first classes, held in the spring of 1913 in a one-room schoolhouse
on land donated by M. G. Leatherwood, were taught by Ellsworth Ham.
The location of the school was changed twice before it was moved to
this site at the eastern edge of the county.
At the height of its growth, Leatherwood School employed three teachers
who taught 36 students in a three-room schoolhouse. In 1935 the Zumalt
School District consolidated with Leatherwood, but by 1945 only elementary
students were being taught here. The final classes at Leatherwood
were held in 1949, when the area was made part of the Crosbyton School
Leatherwood was typical of many early Texas rural schools in that
its longevity was influenced by the migration from farms to the city.
Although rural schools were closed as farm populations decreased and
improved roads and transportation made the cities more accessible,
their histories play an important part in the heritage of public education
with 1893 Pansy postmark. The brevity of operation of the Pansy post
office makes this postal cover a very rare item.
John J. Germann Collection
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact