Centennial Marker Text|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, October 2010
a Pecan Shell|
Fort, which was built in the early 20th Century housed troops that were used to
protect the border from raids by Mexican rebel leader / bandit Francisco “Pancho”
Villa and various sub-groups of bandits that were allied with his forces.
The fort was closed after WWI but
many of the barracks remain intact. The site is also considered to have witnessed
the last fight between U.S. soldiers and Apache forces, For that reason, a 1936
Centennial marker was placed here.
The Apaches made their last stand
in Presidio County
Four Pueblo Indian Scouts of
General Benj. H. Grierson, U.S.A.
and defeated 20
by the State of Texas 1936
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels