“The Windiest Town in Texas”
Culberson County, West
U.S. Highway 62/180
About 60 Miles N of Van
About 3 Miles S of Guadalupe Peak
(Guadalupe Mountain National Park)
Springs, Texas Area Hotels > Van
in a Pecan Shell|
The site was well-known as stopping point
for those crossing Guadalupe Pass. In 1858 it became a stop on the Butterfield
Overland Stage Mail route. The company designated the stop as “The Pinery.” The
stop was moved south within its first year of operation for the protection offered
by Forts Davis and Stockton.
In 1870 it was used as a base for scouting
expeditions against the Mescalero Apaches. After the Indian threat had vanished,
the site was employed by those heading west across the mountains. A man by the
name of Walter Glover bought the land in 1907 and started a ranch.
U.S. Highway 62 was opened in 1928, Walter and Bertha Glover went into the café
business to provide nourishment for motorists. After the death of Walter, Bertha
remained at the helm until her death in 1982.
The population in 1942 was
reportedly 50 residents which grew to 70 in the mid 1940s before falling to a
mere 10 people twenty years later.
The post office closed in 1943. The
Guadalupe Mountains National Park opened in 1972 with the opening, the population
of Pine Springs doubled to 20 residents – the same number used for the 1990 and
The Pine Springs Stage Stand
is/was located right at the what is now the highest roadway in Texas, officially
5,695 feet. The grocery store/gas station which served the area for many years
is now long gone. The new headquarters building of the Guadalupe
Mountains National Park is not from from the old stage stop.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic/contemporary photos, please contact