| History in a Pecan
began with a settlement on Toyah Creek in 1880. The original site is four miles
east of the present town. A post office was granted in 1884, however, it only
lasted seven years before closing. It was reestablished in 1900.
for the town was filed in 1909 and the railroad (The Pecos Valley Southern) arrived
in 1911. The town only had twenty-five residents in 1925 but six years later it
had increased to a respectable 150 people. In 1933 it had decreased back to 25.
The 1940s were kinder to Saragosa and the town grew to 60 people. It increased
to 90 by 1949 – remaining there until the 1960 census when it reached a record
of 380 residents.
Ten years later it was back to only 173. As the 1980s
closed, the population stood at 183 people. Saragosa was struck by a huge tornado
on the night of May 22, 1987, killing 30 residents and injuring 121. Eighty-five
percent of the town’s buildings were destroyed in the storm.
TE photo, September 2009