a Pecan Shell
Named for early settler and landowner Sam Cunningham, who was responsible for
luring other citizens, the first event worth mentioning was the establishment
of a post office in 1912.
first population figures are from 1915 when 350 people called Cunningham home.
The town had its own doctor, three general stores as well as a saw mill and a
newspaper. The community had two churches at that time.
Great Depression hit the town hard and by the 1940s it had decreased to just 200.
Cunningham had added an addition church by the 1980s, even as the businesses and
population declined. The community showed 110 people for the 1990 census – and
eremained the same for the 2000 count.
Lamar County map showing Cunningham|
"R" in "LAMAR", near Delta County line)
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here