| History in
a Pecan Shell
In 1870 the Texas legislature voted on a bill for the creation of
Delta County. One of the sponsors for this bill was L. W. Cooper of
Houston and it was Cooper
the county seat was named after. The town was granted a post office
the following year and Cooper incorporated in 1881. The population
in 1885 was 300.
Further growth was enhanced by the construction of the Texas Midland
Railroad. By 1896 Cooper had an estimated population of 1,000 with
two churches and all the essential businesses a growing town needed
including two feed mills, two cotton gins, two blacksmiths and two
weekly newspapers. The town also supported an unheard of (even for
a county seat) seven general stores. Since the rest of Delta County
was made up of smaller towns, Cooper's growth continued for years.
Its high-water mark was reached in 1925 when 2,563 people called the
The population predictably declined during the 1930s, grew somewhat
after WWII and
underwent another decline in the 1980s. It reached 2,349 in the early
50s and went nearly unchanged for the next 20 years (2,258 in 1970).
The former railroad depot is now in use as the Delta County museum.
Cooper, Texas Landmarks /
Three Photographers' Visits
and Early Coffee and Tea
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, April 2009
around the old courthouse square in Cooper are paved with red brick.
The current courthouse
is actually one block west of the square. This gazebo sits on the
foundation of the 1900
Jeanson, June 2007
Smith Brothers by Bob Bowman ("All Things Historical")
Four brothers from Delta County lived with an ordinary name in the
mid-1800s, but they were far from ordinary... In 1968, the Texas
Historical Commission erected a state historical marker to
the Smiths' legacy on a site three and a half miles west of Cooper
beside Texas Highway 64.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact