Formed from Lamar and Hopkins
created July 29, 1870
The name describes its position and triangular shape.
the county seat
Erected in the Centennial Year, to commemorate founding of Delta
Named for shape, resembling Greek letter [triangle], and for evident
origin of its land--sedimentation at fork of North and South Sulphur
The first (1820-30) political activity here was oversight by the
Sulphur Forks Indian Commission (of the United States) of the Caddo,
Delaware, Quapaw, and Seminole inhabitants.
After Texas independence in 1836, the Delta came under jurisdictions
of Red River, Lamar,
and Hopkins counties.
Families and wagon trains from Kentucky, Tennessee, and other states--and
from other parts of Texas--settled here as early as the 1830s. The
people of the Delta in 1868 petitioned for creation of the county;
in 1870 the Legislature of Texas complied.
The county seat, a new town to be in the geographic center, was
named for Leroy Cooper, chairman of the House Committee on Counties
and Boundaries. Gov. E.J. Davis named as commissioners to organize
the county: Joel Blackwell, John P. Boyd, James Hamilton, J.W. Iglehart,
and Thomas J. Lane. To supervise sales of lots in Cooper, Erastus
Blackwell was appointed sheriff. The organizing election was held
on Oct. 6, 1870, naming Charles S. Nidever as Chief Justice. Commissioners
elected were John P. Boyd, J.F. Alexander, Alfred Allen and J.M.