| History in
a Pecan Shell
Leroy was established late in the 19th Century. The International-Great
Northern Railroad platted the town in the late 1890s and the town
got its post office in early 1900. Actually, it was The Smith Land
Company that platted the town - but the difference was moot since
the town's namesake, Leroy Smith was president of both the land company
and the railroad.
By 1914 the population was 200 citizens who did their shopping at
two general stores and two grocery stores. From the mid 1920s through
the 1960s Leroy maintained a population of 250. The town remained
on county highway maps in the 1930s and 1940s. In 1948 Leroy's school
were merged with the West, Texas ISD. The next blow to the town occurred
in the mid 1960s when the Missouri Pacific Railroad abandoned their
rails between Waco and Maypearl.
The population declined to 200 in the early 1970s and increased to
over 250 in the 1980s. It has since increased to the present 335.