Town in Montague County"
Montague County Seat, North Central Texas
Highways 59 and 175
60 miles SE of Wichita
80 miles NW of Fort
12 miles West of St. Jo
11 miles from Bowie
Population: 400 est. (2000)
Area Hotels - Book Here & Save
Windmills in Montague
Photo by John Troesser 2003
a Pecan Shell
Daniel Montague surveyed neighboring Cooke County and served in
the Mexican War as a Captain.
As surveyor for the Fannin Land District - he took land in lieu
of cash payment.
1848: neighboring Cooke County created - Daniel Montague was named
1858: town established on land donated by the state (for Daniel
1860: post office is granted
1874: the Montague Frontier News is published
1880: population reaches 400
1886: town was incorporated
1880 to 1900: The town is bypassed by two railroads - Bowie (to
the south) gets the Fort Worth and Denver and Nocona (to the north)
gets the Missouri, Kansas and Texas.
An attempt was made to connect with Bowie, but the independent RR
went out of business after laying only eight miles of track
1900: perhaps discouraged by being bypassed - the town votes to
1915: population is 300 - dipping even lower in
1947: when only 284 people lived there
1990: Overcrowding becomes a concern when population reaches 400
Photo by John Troesser, 2003