History in a Pecan ShellThere
was no romantic story in the naming of this lost community. It was founded by
two brothers named Truelove (Lemuel B. and Jonathan Richard) who settled here
in the 1870s. The plural spelling of their surname gave them equal billing.
Lemuel acquired thousands of acres of land and invested in cotton gins. Although
a school was built and the community had a “bank” (Cotter, Truelove and Company),
total ownership of the area didn’t provide a fertile soil for growth.
The first school was called Love Joy and was on Truelove property. A newer schoolhouse
built in 1907 was named Truelove School.
Proximity to the county seat
and with no railroad connection, Trueloves never developed into a full-fledged
town although it did find a spot of its own on regional maps.
Johnson County map showing Trueloves E of Cleburne|
"ON" in "JOHNSON")
Texas General Land Office