a Pecan Shell
Fanthorp - the name of the town was changed after Kenneth Anderson,
the last vice-president of Texas, who died there in 1845.
Anderson is an anomaly - a county seat with a small population just
a few miles from the largest town in the county. Although the population
never exceeded 500 persons, it managed to retain its status as county
got the railroad. In the 19th Century - getting the railroad meant
the difference between guaranteed prosperity and a slow economic death.
The distance between the towns is a mere ten miles.
County Courthouse defies convention as well - its unusual
architecture makes it one of the most visual pleasing courthouses
in the state. Restored in 2002 - the courthouse has withstood two
fires and has hosted the trial of a Barrow-Parker gang member in the
Landmarks / Attractions:
Mallard, once mayor of Navasota
and current Grimes County Commissioner runs a proper antique store
a stone's throw from the courthouse. If there's something about Grimes
County history he doesn't know - then it's not worth knowing.
Mr. Mallard also has one of the best personal photo collections in
Grimes County and
a sizable collection of Edsels. (2002)
TE photo 2002
detail showing date of the Wickey Building "1929"
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact