in a Pecan Shell
Bryan was named
after William Joel Bryan, a nephew of Stephen F. Austin.
A timeline of significant events in Bryan's history:
1820s and 1830s: settled by members of Stephen F. Austin's
1859: the Houston and Texas Central Railroad came through the
area and the town was platted.
1866: a post office was granted and Bryan replaced Boonville
as the county seat.
1867: The railroad that had been stalled at Millican because
of the Civil War came to Bryan.
1868: The Bryan News-Letter became the first newspaper to be
1871: the first courthouse in Bryan was built.
1872: Bryan is incorporated.
1876: Texas A&M College opens in nearby College
1877: The Bryan Independent School District was established.
1880: Bryan's first school was opened.
1884: Population reaches 3,000.
1889: Bryan obtained electric lighting and a waterworks.
1892: The fifth Brazos
County Courthouse, designed by Eugene
Heiner, was built
1900: Bryan has a population of 3,589 and the International-Great
Northern Railroad arrived.
1902: Bryan's Carnegie
Library was opened with a 10,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie
1910: Bryan builds an interurban railroad to College
Station, which is abandoned in 1923.
1930s: North Oakwood merges with Bryan and Bryan and College
Station become "twin" cities.
1936: State Highway 6 is built through Bryan.
1942: Bryan Air Air Field is opened.
1950: population of Bryan reaches 18,072.
The building of shopping centers and the growth of A & M University
drew population and especially businesses away from downtown Bryan
in the 1950s and 60s.
Hotels > Book Here
Austin Marshall and Texas Outlaw Ben Thompson
once owned a saloon in Bryan
signs on the side of a building
mysterious Tremont Building
Bryan / College
Station Tourist Informatiom
Bryan / College
Station Chamber of Commerce
Website - http://www.b-cs.com/
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact