in a Pecan Shell
a Fayette County community by an act of the Republic of Texas in May
of 1838, Cedar had been settled a few years before. The name was perhaps
inevitable due to the omnipresent cedar trees.
The original Anglo settlers sold out to the incoming Germans in the
1840s and 1850s and a post office was granted in 1859.
Essential businesses were set up, but with the county
seat being so close, growth for Cedar was unlikely. But they did
open a saloon, store and even a community hall. Cedar also had their
A cotton gin wasn’t necessary since nearby Bluff
had one. In 1904 the post office was discontinued and social activities
focused around O’Quinn – just south
Today the well-kept Cedar cemetery is the only proof that Cedar existed.
map showing location of Cedar
Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact