in a Pecan Shell
the first county seat of Lavaca
County in 1846 and the town received its post office two years
later. Petersburg became a crossroads community - being on both the
- San Antonio road
and the Columbus
road. In 1848 the population was mere 20 people and a single building
served as county courthouse, school, church, and sheriff's office.
It may not have been quiet - but everyone was well-behaved. Sadly,
this all-purpose edifice burned - requiring a new building. While
this new courthouse was being constructed, business was held al fresco
- with prisoners farmed out in the care of local farmers.
In one of the fiercest county-seat rivalries in Texas
was given the crown in an 1852 election. The county archives had to
be taken by force from angry Petersburgers. The matter simmered for
years - and was finally decided in 1860.
The now-empty courthouse became the Nelson Academy, a boarding school
established in the 1850s. The school closed during the Civil War and
Petersburg lost its post office in 1876. Petersburg had only one building
not a residence in 1880.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact