Heinsohn (Fayette County Historical Commission)
One of the oldest communities in the county, settled in 1840 by Leander
and Candace Cottle. Other American families soon followed.
Originally called Black Jack Springs, it encompassed a large
area across parts of two leagues; in 1867, the community was partitioned
off. A new community in the Thomas O. Berry’s League was named Black
Jack Springs, and old Black Jack Springs in the Noah Karnes’ League
became Pin Oak.
The first school was established in 1840; a second school in another
location was built in 1848. The last school operated until 1935, when
the enrollment was 35 in grades one through nine.
The first store was built by G.W. Tuttle; it housed the post office
and justice court; taxes were assessed and collected in the store,
which served as a voting place.
J.C.C. Smith established a store and blacksmith shop in 1846.
A second post office in the area, located just south of the present-day
intersection of FM 609 and FM 2237, was known as the Black Jack Post
The historic Pin Oak Cemetery is all that remains of the community.
The oldest unmarked graves are believed to be for two soldiers returning
Men; they died of measles at a nearby home. The oldest tombstone
is for the community’s founder, Leander Cottle, buried in 1845.
Oak Cemetery Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Carolyn
Heinsohn, September 2013
The first burials
at this site, now unmarked, were for two ailing soldiers who died
here following the Battle
of Salado Creek near San
Antonio in 1842. The oldest marked grave is that of Lee F.T. Cottle
(1788-1845). Located on property once held by the Routh family, this
burial ground served both the communities of Black
Jack Springs and Pin Oak and has been known by both names. An
association, over 100 years old, cares for these grounds that chronicle
settlers of the Republic
of Texas era; slaves; veterans of the War of 1812, the Texas Revolution
and the Civil War; and many area pioneers and their descendants.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2002
of Dr. Kenzie Routh, born 18 Nov. 1811 in Sevier County, TN; died
9 Jan. 1875 in Fayette County, TX and wife, Amanda Murrell Routh,
born 27 Aug. 1822 in Lincoln County, TN; died 4 April 1909 in Fayette
County, TX. The Pin Oak Cemetery is located on land once owned by
the Rouths" - Carolyn
1907 postal map showing Black
(SW Fayette County)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact