a Pecan Shell|
Snook evolved from a smaller Czech community named Sebesta just SW of present-day
Snook. When Sebesta needed a post office in the 1890s, John Snook, the postmaster
in Caldwell organized the relocation of a small post office at Dabney Hill to
be moved between the two communities. For his efforts the new post office was
named after him. Residents from Sebesta relocated to the Snook post office and
it slowly outgrew both former communities.
In 1914 the population of Snook
was around 80 people served by two stores and a few basic businesses. A school
named Moravia was built that year. During the 1920s, artesian wells furnished
Snooks water and several nearby schools merged with the Snook school in the 1930s.
The town’s proximity to Bryan - College
Station benefited the community after WWII
and by 1950 the population reached 140. By 1970 it was up to 384, 488 for 1990
and reaching new heights for 2000 (568).