in a Pecan Shell
First known as
Clifton’s Prairie after the forst settling family, it appeared
in the late 1850s.
A cotton gin and mill were constructed in the early 1880s but it wasn’t
until 1899 when the community was granted a post office (under the
name Arbala). The population was a mere 50 by 1914, although the community
had four stores. In 1925 the town reported 100 inhabitants.
The post office was closed in 1933. In the mid-1930s Arbala held on
with a single business, but after WWII,
it dropped to a population low of 20 residents (1952). It slowly crawled
back to 41 for the 1990 census – and the same number was repeated
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact