TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
 
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Newton County TX
Newton County

Hotels

BELGRADE, TEXAS

Texas Ghost Town
Newton County, East Texas

FM 1416
1 Mile W of the Sabine River
About 60 Miles N of Beaumont
SE of Newton and Jasper

Belgrade, Texas Area Hotels ›
Jasper Hotels
 Site of Town of Belgrade Texas Centennial Marker
"Site of the Town of Belgrade" Texas Centennial Marker
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, December 2010
History in a Pecan Shell

The site was called Biloxi by Indians although it isn't clear why or if there is any connection to the place of the same name on the Mississippi coast. William McFarland settled here in 1837, making it the oldest settlement in what would become Sabine County.

The name was borrowed from the capital of (what was then) Serbia in hopes it would become as successful a riverport as that city. McFarland sold lots here for $100 - a hefty price when vast plots sold for pennies per acre. It did develop as a port during the 1840s and 50s and due to a huge raft of logs upstream, Belgrade was the last navigable point on the river.

Belgrade was granted a post office by 1840 and 13 years later the name of Biloxi resurfaced. It went as Biloxi for about seven years when the townsfolk (and postal authorities) changed it back to Belgrade. River commerce was dampened by the ever-expanding railroads in the 1880s and Belgrade's commerce declined accordingly.

While its location on the river was advantagous for floating logs to market downstrean, the inland sawmills and the railroads killed all hope of Belgrade developing a sustaining industry. After the Civil War, the post office closed, reopened around 1880 and closed again in 1906. It opened again in 1910 and remained open until 1936 - the year the Centennial marker was installed.

Although the original townsite was abandoned years ago, nearby communities of Upper and Lower Belgrade are currently inhabited.

Photographer's Note:

Subject: Newton County: "Old" Belgrade

"This is a strange one. It's up to you to figure it out. Dig out your map of Newton County.

Belgrade, as currently shown on the map, is located about 12.5 miles southeast of Newton on FM 1416.

The Belgrade Centennial Marker is two miles SSW of Belgrade near the Sabine River, or one mile SE of Sandjack.

The Old Belgrade Cemetery is located 2 miles SW of Belgrade or 0.3 miles south of Sandjack. - Barclay Gibson, December 2010
Belgrade Texas Centennial Marker
Belgrade Townsite Centennial Marker
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, December 2010
See Texas Centennial
Belgrade Texas - Old Belgrade Cemetery
Old Belgrade Cemetery
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, December 2010
Belgrade Texas - Old Belgrade Cemetery
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, December 2010
Belgrade Texas - Old Belgrade Cemetery
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, December 2010
More Texas Cemeteries
Belgrade Texas Centennial Marker
Centennial Marker Full View
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, December 2010

PEOPLE:

  • Heavyweight champ Jack Johnson by Bob Bowman
    Heavyweight champ Jack Johnson was arrested for boxing in 1903 in Galveston. Johnson, who was born in Galveston and honed his physical skills by lifting cotton bales as a youngster in the Newton County river port of Belgrade, became the heavyweight title in 1910 when he defeated Jim Jeffries...

  • Francis Wilson
  • Belgrade Texas - Francis Wilson Historical Marker
    Francis Wilson Historical Marker
    On FM 1416 "6 miles SE of Bon Wier"

    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, December 2010
    Historical Marker:

    Francis Wilson

    (1790-1867)
    A central figure in the early days of Texas Methodism, Virginia native Francis Wilson was the son of a Scot-Irish immigrant and a native Marylander. After a brief period of military service in the War of 1812, he became a Methodist minister, preaching his first sermon on Dec. 25, 1815. He rode the circuits in West Virginia and Ohio until 1839, when he moved to the Republic of Texas over the objections of family, friends, and his bishop.

    Stationed first at Shelbyville and then at San Augustine, Wilson traveled over all of East Texas, holding camp meetings and organizing churches. Noted for his lectures and stirring sermons, he was respected throughout the area. In 1846 Wilson was appointed as a delegate to the first convention of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He was instrumental in the establishment of Wesleyan Male and Female College in San Augustine. In 1847 Wilson and wife Elizabeth settled near Belgrade on the Sabine River.

    Francis Wilson's last official service was in 1851 as a missionary to the black communities on the Austin circuit. Shortly after, he retired in poor health to his home in Newton County, but continued to preach locally until 1864. He died three years later and is buried in the Old Belgrade Cemetery (2 mi. SE).

    Photographer's Note:

    The Francis Wilson Historical Marker (poor photo due to camera facing the sun) is located at Sandjack on FM1416. It states that Wilson is buried in the Old Belgrade Cemetery, "2 mi SE" (of Sandjack). The current Old Belgrade Cemetery is only 0.3 miles south of the marker. ????" - Barclay Gibson, December 2010

    Texas- 1940s Newton County map
    1940s Newton County map showing Bon Weir (SE of Newton)
    Courtesy Texas General Land Office

    Take a road trip

    Belgrade, Texas Nearby Towns:
    Newton | Jasper | Beaumont
    See Newton County | East Texas

    Book Hotel Here:
    Jasper Hotels | Beaumont Hotels | More Hotels
    Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.

     


    Texas Towns A - Z Texas Regions:
    Gulf Texas Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central Texas North Central Woutn Central Texas South Panhandle Texas Panhandle
    South South Texas Hill Texas Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Texas Ghost Towns counties Texas Counties

    Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Go to Home Page »
    TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
    Texas Counties
    Texas Towns A-Z
    Texas Ghost Towns

    TEXAS REGIONS:
    Central Texas North
    Central Texas South
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Texas Panhandle
    Texas Hill Country
    East Texas
    South Texas
    West Texas

    Courthouses
    Jails
    Churches
    Schoolhouses
    Bridges
    Theaters
    Depots
    Rooms with a Past
    Monuments
    Statues

    Gas Stations
    Post Offices
    Museums
    Water Towers
    Grain Elevators
    Cotton Gins
    Lodges
    Stores
    Banks

    Vintage Photos
    Historic Trees
    Cemeteries
    Old Neon
    Ghost Signs
    Signs
    Murals
    Gargoyles
    Pitted Dates
    Cornerstones
    Then & Now

    Columns: History/Opinion
    Texas History
    Small Town Sagas
    Black History
    WWII
    Texas Centennial
    Ghosts
    People
    Animals
    Food
    Music
    Art

    Books
    Cotton
    Texas Railroads

    Texas Trips
    Texas Drives
    Texas State Parks
    Texas Rivers
    Texas Lakes
    Texas Forts
    Texas Trails
    Texas Maps
    USA
    MEXICO
    HOTELS

    Site Map
    About Us
    Privacy Statement
    Disclaimer
    Contributors
    Staff
    Contact Us

     
    Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved