County, East Texas
FM 1416, FM 363 and U.S. Highway 190
About 56 Miles N of Beaumont
About 10 miles SE of Newton
About 17 Miles NE
in a Pecan Shell|
Established as a railroad stop in 1905 on
the Jasper and Eastern Railway, the name is an amalgam of the names B. F. Bonner
and R. W. Wier, employees of the Kirby Lumber Company.
The Kirby Lumber
company was eager to exploit the vast timber in the area and a post office was
granted in 1906, giving a sense of permanence to the community even if (when)
the timber played out.
From 1918 through 1924 logging operations were intense
and after a three year hiatus they resumed in 1927 until 1929. The final phase
lasted from 1932 to 1935.
The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway (later
the AT&SF) bought out the tiny Jasper and Eastern Railway in the late 1940s. Enough
timber was left to keep smaller local mills in production through the 1990s.
The town peaked in the late 40s with a population estimated to be 500. The decline
in population since then has been slight – reaching 475 for the 1990 census.
Bon Wier Historical Marker
Bon Wier historical marker
Gibson, December 2010
1920s Map showing Bon Weir
(SE of Newton)|
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact