| "The 1927
Post Office from Camilla now stands in the Old Coldspring townsite
in Coldspring, TX"
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, November 2014
in a Pecan Shell
appeared shortly after the Civil War. Mrs. Camilla Hardin Davis is
the town’s namesake. A store was opened by one L. S. McMickin and
a gin and a second store were owned by Jim McMurray.
The gin put the town on the map, so to speak. A Farmer’s Alliance
was formed and in the mid 1890s the town proved its importance by
getting its own post office.
Still, the population remained small. It had been estimated at 100
for decades. The population dipped in the mid 1960s to around 70.
The three businesses that the town had had closed around the same
The estimated population of 70 has been in use since (according to
the official TXDoT map).
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact