Highway 77, FM 1399 and FM 250
About 9 Miles E of Naples
15 Miles N of
16 Miles NW of Linden
Population: 00112 (2000)
in a Pecan ShellOnce
called Oak Ridge, the name was changed when the community was granted a
post office in 1880. The name came from early settler Marietta Wommack.
the mid 1880s, Marietta had a population of 100 and was served by two gins, a
sawmill and a grist mill. It reached 200 by 1890.
The town enjoyed the
benefit of a railroad from 1917 through 1933 when the Jefferson and Northwestern
ran a line from Jefferson
If population estimates are to be believed, the town reached
600 in 1892. From 124 in the mid 1920s, it actually gained residents during the
Great Depression – reaching 250 by 1939.
the community once again reached 600 residents, but declined thereafter. From
161 residents reported in the 1990 Census, it has declined to 112 for the 2000