in a Pecan ShellIt
is assumed that the Nesbitt family is the source of the name. The Nesbitts settled
here in the early 1850s. The oldest grave in the cemetery is dated 1851.
Little is known of the community’s size or what transpired here prior to 1930
when it was already deemed a “dispersed community.” At that time a store remained
along with two churches and two schools.
Oddly enough, the town grew in
the last half of the 1960s, reporting 60 residents in 1972 and growing to 270
for the 1980 census. It seems to have peaked in 1990 with 327 residents, but it
has since declined to 302.
“Outside of the Baptist
Church and the Oak Haven Nursing home there are only scattered residences and
farm buildings.” - Gerald
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact