County, East Texas
AKA Fruit, Texas
U.S. Highway 271
About 6 Miles N of Tyler
Population: 00150 (2000)
Springs, Texas Area Hotels > Tyler
in a Pecan Shell
settlement was in the 1840s but it didnít develop until 1881 when E. S. Cook and
Perry Ray bought land here for a planned community. The first building was a school,
that was also used for Baptist Church services.
The name was chosen by
John Ray for a local spring and the woods in which it flowed. Because of the orchards
and a canning factory, the post office granted under the name of Fruit, Texas
when it opened in 1894. (See 1907
Smith County Postal Map)
But blight hit the orchards in the late 1890s, resulting in an exodus of farmers.
The cannery closed and the desperate fruitgrowers turned to roses. This was the
birth of the huge Tyler
During the Great Depression, the town only had a single business to stand beside
the church, school and cemetery.
In the early 1950s, locals schools formed an Independent School District which
was absorbed into the Tyler School System in 1956.
The original school
building has become a community center. The town is currently far enough from
to be safe from annexation.
(Location - Pine Springs Rd. at Donaldson Lane, about 2 miles N
Springs Baptist Church
1881, E. S. Cook and Perry Ray, trustees for the Pine Springs School community,
purchased nearby land for the construction of a schoolhouse. Soon after, the Pine
Springs Baptist Church of Christ was organized under the direction of the Rev.
Marcus Morton Wadsworth (1841-1908), who served as the first pastor.
worship services were conducted in the schoolhouse until a separate sanctuary
was built at this site, north of the school, in the early 1890s. About the same
time, the congregational name was changed to the Pine Springs Baptist Church.
The fellowship experienced steady growth during the pastorate of the Rev.
Tully Choice, 1894-1897. The development of the area fruit growing and canning
industry brought new members, and a Sunday School and bimonthly services were
established. Regular weekly services began about 1935.
For over 100 years
the Pine Springs Baptist Church has been active in the growth and development
of the surrounding area. Members here have included early settlers, soldiers stationed
at nearby Camp
Fannin during World War
II, several pioneers in the development of the area rose industry, and many
prominent community leaders.
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/%7Etxpstcrd/
County 1907 Postal Map showing Fruit, N of Tyler|
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here