History in a Pecan ShellThe
community was settled in the late1840s when it was originally called Forest
Home. In 1850 it was granted a post office but after the Civil War it was
discontinued Ė not reopening until 1877. The name of Forest Home was continued,
but it was changed to Springdale in 1879. This didnít prove popular and within
a month the name reverted to Forest Home. Three years later it was changed back
to Springdale. The post office was closed in 1938.
In 1884 Springdale
had 75 residents with three sawmills.The population remained between 50 and 75
for the next 70-plus years. It declined to a mere 30 people in the early 1980s
and the 2000 census reported 55.
Cass County postal map showing Springdale|
(Above "S-S" in "C-A-S-S"
below Bowie County line.)
Courtesy Texas General land Office