N of DíHanis
private property. Posted with a "No Trespassing" sign
of Fort Lincoln" 1936 Texas Centennial Marker|
|The fort, one of a
string of eight that stretched from Eagle
Pass to the Red River, was named after Captain George Lincoln, who was killed
in action during the Mexican War.|
Texas Ranger Chas. S. DeMontel camped
here with his men in 1848 and in July of the following year it was established
as a fort.
The location on the creek afforded a strategic view as well
as access to water.
The location was along the Woll Road, connecting San
Antonio with Fort Duncan in Eagle
Pass. The troops were stationed here to protect recently arrived settlers
and the commercial trade from Indian raids.
As itís name implies, Seco
(Dry) Creek was seldom flowing. The fortís main structures were made from limestone
while other buildings were constructed of logs with shingled or thatched roofs.
It housed around 100 troops with the highest number once reaching 141.
the protective line of forts moved to the west, Fort Lincoln was abandoned in
1852 although it was used on occasional by Texas Rangers.
Rock from the
buildings was cannibalized for residences in DíHanis
and today only remnants of a structure is left of the fort. A 1936 Texas Centennial
Marker shown here marks the location.
(On Seco Creek. 2 miles NW on FM
1796 from DíHanis, left
on CR 4204.
March 2013 Update: On private property. Posted with
a "No Trespassing" sign.)
of Fort Lincoln" Texas Centennial Marker|
of Fort Lincoln
Established by the United States Army July 7, 1849 as a link in a chain of posts
extending from the Rio Grande to the Red River.
Named in honor of Captain
George Lincoln who fell at Buena Vista Feb. 23, 1847.
Abandoned July 20,
1852 after the frontier line had advanced further westard.
of Fort Lincoln Officers' Quarter|
time back, maybe in the 1910's, someone made an addition to the original fort
structure. The original is to the left of the vertical line. The bricks
shown have "D'HANIS" imprinted on them."
Gibson, August 2011 photo
to the original fort structure above |
of Fort Lincoln" Centennial Marker|
& marker when it was erected in 1936|
Fort Lincoln, D'Hanis, Texas
My wife's GGgrandfather Capt. Heinrich Josep [HJ] Richarz, purchased Ft Lincoln
and it became his homestead. The property originally consisted of 500 acres. He
moved after 2-3 years on another 500 acre property on the San Antonio River, south
of San Antonio, TX across the street
from L'Espandage Franciscan Church, part of the 'Alamo' Franciscan missions.
previously was a member of the Legislature in his homeland Germany, but supporting
a fight for democracy against Napolean III, after in absentia being sentence to
death, quickly left Germany with his wife and son Walter for Texas.
would become the first Postmaster of D'Hanis, County Judge, Head of Pioneer Forces
protecting pilgrims against Comanches during the Civil War, later Capt of Texas
Rangers at Ft. Inge. His son Walter [KIA 1871], buried next to his father on Seco
[Ft. Lincoln], now referred to Rudinger Ranch. His youngest daughter married Rudinger,
who worked for and assisted in management of Richarz Ranch [Ft. Lincoln].
The brick factory producing bricks stamped DíHanis
was started by his son in law, Walrath.
Capt HJ Richarz, after leaving
State Legislature, again became the County Judge, and retired back to his ranch,
raising both cattle and sheep. He brought to Texas
the first registered Merino Rams from Germany to Texas
to breed with local Mexican sheep. His wife's cousins Augustus and Caspar Real
[Real County] became the largest wool raisers in the world by 1900. His wife's
other cousin was Mrs. Charles Schreiner of the famed YO Ranch. -
John K. Condon,
July 02, 2012
|Book Hotel Here