| Fort Richardson
State Park & Historic Site |
228 State Park Road 61
Open 7 days a week
Lost Creek Reservoir
State Trailway - An approximately 10-mile hike, bike and equestrian trail.
Highway Marker - On US 281 1/2 mile south of Jacksboro|
November 26, 1867 by the United States Army to defend the frontier against the
Indians. A mail station on the Butterfield Overland Stage Line, 1858-1861. Abandoned
as a military post May 23, 1879.
Visit to Fort Richardson State ParkPhotos
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Photo courtesy Mike
1867 of lumber cut from cottonwoods growing in nearby river bottoms. One of 5
original officers' quarters. Outlasted fort's barracks and stables, which were
built of small vertical timbers (pickets).
Style typical of 19th century
army posts in the west. Only one left standing the United States.
men quartered here was General Ranald S. MacKenzie, who sent Indians back to reservations,
Restored by City of Jacksboro. Maintained by Girl Scouts.
Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
Cavalry Post Hospital, 1867In
fort built to halt Indian depredations in North
Texas. One of buildings and units on inspection in May 1871 by General William
Tecumseh Sherman, when news came of massacre
of Warren Wagon Trail, 24 miles northwest. Killers, later found at Fort Sill,
were brought to trial in Jacksboro
- first time Indians were ever tried in the white man's court in North
Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
reconstructed in 1936. Established by the United States War Department on November
26, 1867 as a protection of the frontier against hostile Indians. Named in honor
of General Israel B. Richardson, U.S.A., killed at Antietam, September 17, 1862.
Abandoned May 23, 1878 as the line of settlement had passed westward.