Texas Historic Landmark
Harmon General Hospital Chapel
2200 S. Mobberly Ave.
Harmon General Hospital
Now known as Speer Chapel, it is located on campus
of LeTourneau University in Longview,
Texas. It is still used for student prayer services, special events and weddings.
It is the last WWII era
building located on the campus. - Maryanne
Gobble, December 2010
Marker Text |
General Hospital Chapel Authorized
by the U. S. Army n 1942 and named for Col. Daniel Warrick Harmon, Harmon General
Hospital was in operation from November 1942 to December 1945. This ecumenical
chapel opened in January 1943. Protestant, Catholic and Jewish clergy served here.
The hospital property was acquired by the Le Tourneau Foundation in 1946 for use
as a college. Despite several years as a storage facility, the chapel retained
enough of its original fabric for renovation in the late 1950s and again in 1983
when it was formally named Speer Chapel. The structure remains a well-preserved
vernacular chapel. Its notable features include a front-facing gabled roof, center
projecting entrance with the roof below a central steeple, and wood sash windows.
Texas Historic Landmark- 1997
Harmon General Hospital Chapel historical marker|
Photo courtesy Maryanne
|Save on Hotels