TexasEscapes.comTexas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 1800 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP : : SEARCH SITE
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
 
 Texas : Towns A-Z / Panhandle / Ghost Towns :

ESKOTA, TEXAS

Texas Ghost Town
Fisher County, Texas Panhandle
On Sweetwater Creek
Extreme SE Fisher County
1 mile N of the Nolan County Line
5 Miles from I-20 (Exit 251)
10 Miles NE of Sweetwater
Roughly 20 Miles W of Abilene
Population: not known

Area Hotels - Book Here & Save
Sweetwater Hotels
Abilene Hotels
Eskota Texas sign
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
History in a Pecan Shell

Once the only town alongside the Texas and Pacific Railroad in Fisher County, Eskota's name may be Indian or may be Spanish. But everyone agrees that no one knows what it means.

It was to be known as Trent after local rancher Riley Trent, but the wrong sign was delivered and put to use. Riley Trent was remembered on the next stop east. The post office opened in 1888 and as the only town with a railroad in Fisher County, it prospered briefly.

A two-story hotel served train crews and passengers. The population was 50 in1947.

It remains on the railroad presently the Missouri Pacific.
Eskota Texas closed store
A closed store
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
More Texas Stores
Eskota Texas old house
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
Eskota Texas cistern
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
Eskota Texas outhouse and cactus
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
Eskota Texas cactus and  outhouse
An outhouse

Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007

Eskota, Texas Forum

Subject: Eskota, Texas
Dear TE, The last business in Eskota was the general store, owned by my grandfather, C.B. Johnston. It was closed 1967 upon his death, and the contents were auctioned that summer. The post office closed in 1954. The only commerical buildings left standing are the old store and the old bank building. The hotel burned down in 1919, and the church was torn down in the 80's as it was unsound. The Eskota school was torn down in the late 40's after the war, and the bricks used to build the high school in Sweetwater. There are 4 houses remaining from Eskota's heyday still standing and in use.

Eskota Homecoming is held annually on the 1st Sunday in October at the site of the old Methodist Church. - Elaine Starkey, President, Eskota Homecoming Association, October 11, 2006
The town is listed in T. Lindsay Baker's book More Ghost Towns of Texas, which contains exact driving directions.

Photographer's Note
Eskota was worth the drive. It is mostly the old house that Baker showed in his book. It hasn't changed all that much. - Barclay Gibson, February 20, 2007

Area Hotels, Book Here & Save
Sweetwater Hotels
More Hotels


Eskota is featured in

 
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | MAPS

TEXAS FEATURES
Ghosts | People | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Black History | Rooms with a Past | Music | Animals | Books
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Stores | Banks | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Drive-by Architecture | Old Neon | Murals | Signs | Ghost Signs | Then and Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright 1998-2008. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
This page last modified: August 24, 2008