that remains of the 1894
courthouse in Brazoria|
Photo courtesy Julie McConnell, 2002
a Pecan Shell|
Part of the original Stephen F. Austin land grant, Brazoria was platted in 1828
by John Austin. It was deserted in what is called the Runaway
Scrape as the Mexican army advanced from their victory at the Alamo.
A school opened as early as 1838 but it wasn't granted a post office
for eight more years. The town had a respectable population of 800 by the mid
1880s. Sugar mills and cotton gins provided employment and income while the town
gained three hotels and no less than twelve general stores.
The town became
the county seat and by 1890 the population reached 900. The first newspaper was
published in 1892 and a second sometime before 1914. Brazoria was bypassed by
the railroad and lost its status as county seat to Angleton.
Nevertheless, the population grew from 633 in 1904 to 1,050 by 1929. Its population
reached 1,291 by the early 1960s which has more than doubled to the current 2,787.
Historical Marker - |
Corner of Star and Camp St
Site given to Brazoria in 1827 by government of Mexico
as cemetery for Catholics; thus was open to all residents, as all Austin Colony
settlers were legally Catholics. By 1930, this was full, and new cemetery opened.
Most pioneer families have members buried here.
Carlos Barrett Centennial Marker
in The Old Brazoria Cemetery|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2009
Marker - Corner of China and Travis|
member of the General Council of the Provisional Government of Texas and by that
body elected judge advocate general of the army with the rank of colonel, 1835.
Born in Vermont June 22, 1788; died in Texas May 19, 1838.
Store mural. More Texas Murals|
courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2009