The new Fort Bend County Justice Center at 1422 Eugene
Heimann Circle was dedicated in May of 2011 and many of the county offices were
moved there from the 1908
courthouse. Plans are underway for the restoration of the old courthouse to
its 1908-09 condition, which will include the removal of its modern additions.
1908 Fort Bend County Courthouse|
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, May 2006
The 1908 Fort Bend County Courthouse -
Architect - C. H. Page & Bros.
Style - Classical Revival
Nearly identical to the Hays
County Courthouse in San
Marcos - built the year before. Both were by C.H. Page and Brothers, architects.
Ft. Benders bought the kit that included clock faces.
Fort Bend County Courthouse
This classical revival building is the fifth courthouse for Fort Bend County,
which was organized in 1837. The structure was designed by C. H. Page of Austin
and dedicated in 1909. The contractor was the Texas Building Company, also of
Austin. Exterior styling features a
dome, statue, and cornices of copper. The interior has a 3-story rotunda, mosaic
tile floors, and green glazed tile wainscoting. Additions were made to the courthouse
in 1935 and 1957.
Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
1908 Fort Bend County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939|
Bend County Courthouse dome & clock tower|
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, April 2005
Fort Bend County district courtroom retains its two-story height. The former district
courtroom at the Hays
County Courthouse has been split in half." |
Jeanson, May 2006 photo
The 1887 Fort Bend County Courthouse -
The 1887 Fort Bend County courthouse was very similar in appearance to the 1890-91
Bandera County courthouse when it was built. The clock tower on the 1887 courthouse
was removed shortly afterwards. This courthouse stood on Morton St., where the
current Richmond City Hall sits, and burned down ca. 1930.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here