Texas Gulf Coast
/ East Texas
AKA Smith's Point
Overlooking East Bay and Trinity Bay
Population: 180 est.(2010) 150 (2000, 1990)
Point, Texas Area Hotels > Houston
in a Pecan Shell
Even before it's
namesake arrived, the "point" was used by Spanish troops disembarking
to reinforce their garrison at Atascosito
(1805). The aforementioned namesake, an Anglo who called himself John
Smith, protested Spanish reluctance to issue titles to settlers. Mexico
got it's independence from Spain shortly thereafter and then Texas
got it's Independence from Mexico. Texas joined the United States
in 1845 and Smith's Point was finally able to get it's own post office
in 1876 - the year of the American Centennial. Until roads started
appearing, Smith's Point was either reached on horseback, wagon or
boat. Earliest population figures are from the 1930s when around fifty
hearty souls resided here.
Ranching was the main industry with fishing a close second. The region
was about as isolated as could be - until the discovery of gas and
oil wells offshore in 1944.
The town lost it's post office during WWII,
but the community held together in a rather loose and informal manner.
For people seeking a detailed history of Smith's Point, the book entitled
Double Anchor Ranch is worthy of a search.
The population was reported at 150 residents in 1990 and at that same
number for the 2000 census.
| Chambers County
1907 posta map showing Smith Point (overlooking East Bay)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact