TexasEscapes.comTexas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 2500 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP : : SEARCH SITE
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
Beaumont Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Beaumont, Texas
Book Today
 

ANAHUAC, TEXAS

Chambers County Seat, Texas Gulf Coast
On Trinity Bay
Highway 65
3 miles West of FM 562
45 miles W of Port Arthur
46 miles SW of Beaumont
49 miles E of Houston

Population 2,210 (2000) 1,993 (1990)

Anahuac, Texas Area Hotels:
Beaumont Hotels | Houston Hotels
Anahuac Texas - Lone Star Canel
Traffic is not a problem in Anahuac. TE Photo
The Lone Star Canal
History in a Seashell

In 1721 a French explorer named Jean Baptiste de La Harpe visited a village of Atakapans Indians near what would become Anahuac.

Construction of a fort was begun in 1830.

Gen. Manuel de Mier y Terán, commanding officer of the Mexican province of Coahuila y Texas, named the town Anahuac in 1831. The is the Aztec word for the known world - which before the Conquest, was the Aztec capital.

The town experienced turmoil in 1832 and 1835 before the Texas Revolution began in earnest.

After Independence, Gen. Thomas Jefferson Chambers and Charles Willcox both claimed ownership of the townsite which stunted the community's growth. Chambers was killed by an assassin in his home one night in 1865, ending the dispute. General Chambers modestly called the town Chambersea in his own honor - a view that wasn't popular. His house is now a local historic site.

A brief timeline of significant events in Anahuac's history:
1900s: The Anahuac Townsite Company began real estate development
1902: Construction of the Lone Star Canal began
1907: Election was held to make Anahuac county seat over Wallisville.
1935: Oil is discovered offshore
1963: National Wildlife Refuge was established 16 miles from Anahuac
Anahuac, Texas - Chambers County courthouse,
TE Photo
Chambers County Courthouse
Anahuac TX - Chambersea
Chambersea: The home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers
Washington Ave. and Cummings St.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
TE Photo, 2003
Anahuac TX - Chambersea historical marker
Chambersea Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, October 2010

Chambersea

Built in 1845. Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers, early civic and business leader whose love for Texas was proclaimed by the "Star" window in the west gable. The modest board-and-batten pioneer house has another unique feature in the graceful, spiral exterior stairway at the front. Surrounded by plantings, white lattice summer house, barns and outbuildings, this was center of plantation until Chambers was assassinated here in 1863.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
Anahuac TX - Home Of Thomas Jefferson Chambers Centennial Marker
Home Of Thomas Jefferson Chambers Centennial Marker
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, October 2010
More Texas Centennial
Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers
1802 - 1865
Surveyor general of Texas, 1829.
Sole superior judge of Texas before 1836. Active in the cause of
independence. Member of secession convention, 1861. Chambersea, later Anahuac, and a Texas county were named in his honor.
Erected by the state of Texas
1936
Anahuac TX - Dr. Schilling Medical Office
Dr. Schilling Medical Office
Washington Ave. and Cummings St.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, October 2010
Anahuac TX - Dr. Schilling Medical Office Historical Marker
Dr. Schilling Medical Office Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, October 2010
Historical Marker - Washington Ave. and Cummings St.

The Dr. N. T. Schilling Medical Office

Nicholas T. Schilling, born in Bavaria on Nov. 28, 1845, came as a small child with his parents to the United States. He served in the Civil War (1861-65) as a youthful volunteer in the Maryland cavalry. In 1872, he received his M.D. degree from the chicago Medical college. When he came to Cedar Bayou (20 mi. SW) in 1874 he worked in a brick factory, earning funds to set up practice, and revealed his skill by treating an accident victim on the job. His first office was a lean-to behind a mercantile store. In 1883 he married Linna E. Gaillard (d. 1922). For some years he practiced from the family residence, then in 1890 built this office nearby, arranging it in ideal order for his treatments, library, and copious records. Besides his general practice, he fitted eyeglasses and performed dentistry. He traveled far and wide to call on patients, and often accepted his fees in the form of vegetables, fruit, livestock, and farm labor. His son John grew up to assist in the practice and later became a physician in Houston.

Dr. N. T. Schilling died in 1919. His daughter Annie kept the office intact until she died in 1966. Then structure and contents, donated to Chambers County, came here by barge to be preserved as a museum.
1976
Anahuac Texas - Chambers Tombstone
The Chambers name is still prominent in the county.
The road near Wallisville
TE Photo, 2003
Anahuac Chronicles
  • Disturbance of 1832 by Archie P. McDonald (From "All Things Historical")
  • The Women of 1836 by Linda Kirkpatrick
    The women who came to Texas were strong beyond means. They faced every hardship and danger that one can imagine and still they survived. The following stories relate the tales of a few of these women. The first is an unnamed woman from Anahuac...
  • Historical Marker - Hwy 61 and Magnolia St.

    Events at Anahuac Leading to the Texas Revolution

    In the spring of 1832, Wm. B. Travis, Patrick C. Jack and other American settlers in Texas were unjustly imprisoned by Col. Juan Bradburn, commander of the Mexican garrison at Anahuac. Bradburn's refusal to deliver his prisoners for civil trail caused alarm throughout the American settlements, resulting in the organization of an armed force of citizens for intervention to save their friends from trial by a military court in Mexico. Rallying at Liberty, the Texans on June 10 went to Anahuac to parley with Bradburn, who agreed to free the colonists in exchange for Mexican soldiers held by the Texans. When Bradburn refused to keep his word, the Texans resolved to fight, and sent to Brazoria for reinforcements of men and cannon, thus precipitating the Battle of Velasco on June 26, 1832. These events were climaxed by the arrival of the Mexican military commander from Nacogdoches, who resolved the conflict by releasing the colonists and placing Bradburn under arrest. Mexican resentment aroused over the events at Anahuac and Velasco was a contributing factor in the development of the Texas Revolution.
    1965
    Historical Marker - Fort Anahuac Park
    Fort Anahuac

    Known as Perry's Point until 1825, Anahuac was a port of entry for early Texas colonists. In 1830 the Mexican government established a military post here to collect customs duties and to enforce the law of April 6, 1830, which curtailed further Anglo-American colonization.

    Situated on a high bluff at the mouth of the Trinity River, Fort Anahuac controlled access to East Texas settlements. Two 18-pound guns topped the 7-foot thick brick walls of the bastion. Four-foot thick walls protected the adjacent barracks, and an underground tunnel led to a nearby powder magazine. Col. Juan Davis Bradburn, commander of the Anahuac garrison, angered Texas colonists by conscripting labor and supplies to construct the fort and by failing to control his disorderly troops. In 1832 he unjustly imprisoned William B. Travis, Patrick C. Jack, and other settlers here. When he refused to release the men, armed conflict erupted between Texas and Mexican forces. The confrontation here, which also sparked fighting at Velasco and adoption of the Turtle Bayou resolutions, resulted in Bradburn's dismissal and the removal of Mexican troops from the post. Today the ruins of Fort Anahuac are a physical reminder of events that kindled the drive for Texas independence.
    1976

    Historical Marker - Hwy 61 and Washington Ave.
    Lone Star Canal
    Berriman Richard Garland (1840-1918), a native of Indiana, saw the need for fresh water for rice crops in east Chambers County. Garland and A. L. Williams began in 1902 acquiring land and constructing this irrigation canal. It started at the mouth of Turtle Bay, now known as Lake Anahuac. In 1904, "Lone Star Canal Company" was incorporated. E. O. Emerson and Burt H. Collins directed the business in 1906. Sailing vessels anchored next to the warehouse carried the rice to market. In dry seasons, salt water backed into Turtle Bay and into the canal, killing the rice crops. To prevent the damage, the Trinity River Irrigation District formed in 1911 and built a dam and locks at the mouth of the bay. Thomas S. Ellis changed the name to "Anahuac Canal Company" in 1914. After the 1915 hurricane destroyed the dam, pumping plant, and warehouse, the company changed owners several times, closing from 1927-32. In 1932 four men purchased the canal, resumed the name "Lone Star Canal," and reopened operations. In 1947 the Chambers-Liberty Counties Navigation District purchased the canal. Water is available for industrial as well as agricultural use with the goal of improving the economy of the area.
    1979
    Anahuac TX Old Home
    Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, October 2010
    Texas gulf coast county road
    A country road in Chambers County
    TE Photo
    Anahuac , Texas water tower
    Anahuac's water tower
    TE Photo
    Chambers County 1907 Postal Map

    1907 Chambers County Postal Map showing Anahuac
    (Above "M" in "CHAMBERS")
    Courtesy Texas General Land Office

    Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic photos of their town, please contact us.
    Anahuac, Texas Area Destinations:
    Port Arthur
    Beaumont
    Houston
    Hotels:
    Houston Hotels
    Beaumont Hotels
    More Hotels
    More Texas Destinations & Hotels:
    Texas Gulf Coast
    East Texas
    Texas Towns A to Z
    Texas
    Hotels
    ALL ABOUT TEXAS:
    PEOPLE >
    PLACES >
    THINGS >
    TE Online Magazine >
    Hotels >
    Houston Hotels
    Find Hotel Deals in Houston, Texas
    Book Here and Save
     
    TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
    HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | TEXAS HOTELS
    TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

    Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
    TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | MAPS

    Texas Attractions
    TEXAS FEATURES
    People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
    COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

    TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
    Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
    Vintage Photos

    TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | HOTELS | USA | MEXICO

    Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
    Website Content Copyright ©1998-2010. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
    This page last modified: October 31, 2010