Highway 281 and FM 581
On the Lampasas River
16.5 Miles N of Lampasas
Population: 41 (2000)
a Pecan Shell
Settlement was around 1856 with ranching as the main economy. In 1872
a mill was built near the juncture of Mill Creek and the Lampasas
River. This mill was two miles SE of present-day Adamsville. Originally
a water-powered sawmill, stones for grinding meal were added shortly
The community supported one store and when a second one opened closer
to the mills 1876, it contained a post office. It was named after
early settler and postmaster Perry Townsen.
As Townsen Mills, Texas, it was a base camp for the surveying crews
that performed their work in what was often hostile Indian territory.
Perry Townsen was killed in an accident on New Year’s Day in 1891
and the post office was moved to the town’s fist store – run by John
Adams. A change of name was requested and granted and from then on,
the community was called Adamsville.
The mill building was dismantled and moved to Hamilton County but
other mills had opened by this time.
From the 1880s through the early 1930s, the town reported a population
between 75 to 100. In 1933 it plummeted to only 10 residents. By the
early 1970s it had crawled back to 28 and for the 2000 census it rose
Truss Bridge over Lampasas River
Mill historical marker 2 miles SE of Adamsville
Presbyterian Church historical marker
Presbyterian Church Sign
House historical marker