Office, TX 78004
Gibson, April 2012
in a Pecan Shell
Andreas Engel, an Austrian immigrant to Texas in 1885 is credited
with founding Bergheim, which translates into English as Mountain
Home. Engel married and became a storekeeper, opening Bergheim’s
first store in 1900. A post office was applied for and was granted
in 1901, with Engel serving as postmaster.
A permanent limestone building was constructed in 1903 and remains
as the community’s post office in 2009 – still operated by a descendant
of Andreas Engel.
Bergheim became a center for cedar fence posts, perhaps the largest
in Texas. The store would barter cedar posts for groceries and necessities,
providing an income for cedar choppers. These were itinerant workers
whose work cleared land while providing fence posts, usually camping
out on the properties they worked and then moving on.
The Bergheim store and post office received a state historical marker
in the 1980s.
TE photo, February 2009
| 1907 Kendall
County postal map showing Bergheim
From Texas state map #2090
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact