a Pecan Shell
Spofford was named after C.K. Spofford who opened a hotel in town
shortly after the railroad came through in 1882. The town grew around
the hotel and they were granted a post office in 1884. By 1900 they
had 100 residents and by 1896 they had their first school.
The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad had chosen
Spofford over Brackettville.
At Spofford they laid a spur to Eagle
Pass and the main line continued on to Langtry.
The population reached the high water mark of 373 people in the mid-1940s.
After the school consolidations in the 40s - Spofford's students were
bussed to Brackettville.
In 1961 the population was only 138 and it went as low as 54 people
in the mid 70s.
... They claimed
to have a real ghost near there. She was from England, and hanged
herself at Ft. Clark. - Sincerely, Eileen Locke