|
History in
a Pecan Shell
The town was named
for James McEuin Sanford, cowboy, wolf-hunter, rancher, and owner
of the oil rich land that the town was founded on in 1927. The town
was first populated by oil company employees. Within the first year
a post office, school and hotel were opened.
Unlike many boom towns, Sanford survived the initial excitment. In
the 1930s, two refineries and three carbon black plants were constructed.
Sanford had a mere 60 people for the 1940 Census, but with the construction
of Sanford Dam and Lake
Meredith, the town incorporated and new residents started arriving.
The Sanford school district consolidated with the Fritch
ISD in 1961. The 1980 census showed 249 people and ten years later
there were still 218 residents. |
Texas
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact
us. |
|
|