TexasEscapes.comTexas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 1800 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP : : SEARCH SITE
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
Childress Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Childress, Texas
Book Today & Save
 
 Texas : Towns A-Z / Ghost Towns / Texas Panhandle :

PLASKA, TEXAS

Texas Ghost Town
Hall County, Texas Panhandle
FM 657
2 Miles N of the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River
SW of Memphis
Population: 00021 (2000)

Plaska, Texas Area Hotels
Memphis Hotels

History in a Pecan Shell

Baptist circuit rider, J. L. Pyle, was the siteís original owner. The Reverend Pyle once published a Baptist newsletter from nearby Newlin.

In 1905 when the community had itís first post office, the town was first called Lodge, but after closing in 1909, the postal designation was lost, although the town still used the name. In 1920 another application was submitted, but by that time another town had registered the name.

Influential landowner M. N. Orr suggested the name Pulaski after his former home in Tennessee, but due to a misspelling of the name, the granted name was Plaska and the town lived with the misspelling.

The town welcomed its first business in 1907 Ė a blacksmith shop run by Billie Norman. Soon after, three general stores opened along with a cotton gin in 1908.

A school appeared in 1910 which also served as a church until a separate structure was built in 1915. Although the population was a mere 20 people in 1925, it had increased to 200 by the end of that decade.

Plaska was hit hard by the Great Depression and an improved highway. The population returned to 20 with only the basic businesses in operation. The local school only extended to the 9th grade with high schoolers being bussed to Memphis.

As the Great Depression wound down, the population started a weak increase to 80 residents in 1939.

In 1954 Plaska lost itís post office which left only a gin and a store. The population was given as 21 in 1970 which increased to 28 for 1990 and 2000.
1907 Hall County postal map showing Lodge
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Hall County Texas 1940s old map
1940s Hall County map showing Plaska
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Where to Stay:
Memphis Hotels
Childress Hotels
More Hotels
Plaska, Texas
Area Destinations:

Memphis
Turkey
Parnell

Childress
More Texas Day Trips & Weekend Getaways:
Texas Panhandle
West Texas
Ghost Towns
Texas Towns
Memphis Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Memphis, Texas
Book Now & Save
 
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | TEXAS HOTELS
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | MAPS

TEXAS FEATURES
Ghosts | People | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Black History | Rooms with a Past | Music | Animals | Books
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Stores | Banks | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Drive-by Architecture | Old Neon | Murals | Signs | Ghost Signs | Then and Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | HOTELS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright ©1998-2008. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
This page last modified: April 16, 2010